April 13, 2007

We now have six choices of Benjamin Moore painted on a wall in the kitchen; behold:

wallcolors.jpg

I had high hopes for Dorset Gold, the bottom left color, but sadly it looks less like a bold, warm, artistic choice and more like something I’d find in Riley’s diaper after a meal involving carrots. I think Powell Buff (upper far left) is still my favorite, although I kind of like Barley (upper far right) too.

Bah. I’m already sick of the remodel and it hasn’t even started yet. We got our final bid back and it’s higher than we had expected, so we’re having to scale back on a couple things. We were going to do this really cool built-in bookcase door between the new office space and the living room, a sort of sliding pocket door structure that would contain shelves—almost like a Scooby-Doo-esque secret passage into a cave filled with gold coins!—but we got the quote on that and since there isn’t really a cave filled with gold coins with which we could pay for the (10K! Whafuck?) door system, NEVER MIND, we’ll just drape a beaded curtain there or something. The built-in kitchen nook also has a scary pricetag, so we’re thinking of just creating the space and putting in a table and chairs rather than building in the U-shaped bench we had planned on.

Next week the work officially starts, in that workers will demo our existing carport. That should be . . . loud and obnoxious, but at least there’s no construction inside the house yet. Thinking of the days ahead when we’ll be washing dishes in the bathroom and putting our kitchen and stove—where, exactly? It is a mystery!—I mentioned to JB last night that it would be easier, logistically speaking, just to move, if housing wasn’t so insanely ridiculously inflated that is, and he said, “Oh no, the remodel’s only going to take three months.”

He thought for a moment, then amended his statement: “Four months maybe.”

Riiiiiiight.

So this weekend we need to remove all the stuff that’s currently in the creepy, spider-filled storage closet in the carport in preparation for the demolition work. Once the carport is gone, there will be a giant open gap into the backyard, so we also need to figure out what the hell to do about Dog (build a temporary fence, maybe).

You know, the bright side of all this upcoming construction work is that Riley will be in seventh heaven. I hope they bring a GIANT EXCAVATOR.

All right, your turn. What are you doing this weekend?

Comments

Notify of
guest
68 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
Erin
15 years ago

My weekend plans were supposed to be filled with glorious amounts of eating out with friends and catching up with coworkers. But, since I woke up this morning and could only see out of one eye because the other was glued shut with a nice glob of eye goo, I’m headed to our fabulous urgent care to clear up some nice pink eye. And to get somed drugs for my strep throat. I can’t wait to move off of a campus setting!
So, goodbye Bachelorette party and hello amoxicillin!

Clearly, my plans aren’t as much fun as picking out paint colors. Which, if you’re asking for opinions, I like the Barley…

Jan
Jan
15 years ago

You are so insanely smart to put those paint samples on the wall like that!! It’s so hard to tell what the room will look like from those tiny samples. I learn something new every day! Have you ever seen “The Money Pit” with Tom Hanks? Hope your contractor is better than the one in the movie…nothing too exciting for us this weekend, although I do get to keep my perfect, darling baby grandson overnight. Guess I better stop at the store and get some pancakes. His favorite food.

Amy
Amy
15 years ago

I like the barley color! It’s more muted than the “baby’s bad diaper” color, but still has that warmth.

This weekend I’m celebrating the end of tax season with my CPA husband. His choice is to have dinner at one of those all-you-can-eat Brazilian steakhouses. Meat hangover, here I come.

I will also be shopping for a new pair of New Balance running shoes and enjoying my sacred Sopranos/Entourage time. Phone off the hook!

JennB
JennB
15 years ago

OK, how the heck are you affording this? We’re also doing a roofing/remodel project and I’m having a hell of a time making the dollars work.

This weekend I’ll be preparing for my mom’s side of the family for next weekend – probably doing some OCD door scrubbing and that kind of fun stuff. I’ve already gone to the grocery store and am doing load #3 of laundry. There will also be vacuuming. And dusting.

birdgal
birdgal
15 years ago

My life is OH so exciting. I will probably be at Lowe’s looking at plantation shutters/blinds since our house is sadly lacking some nice window treatments (getting a child to go to sleep at 6:30/7 with only sheers covering up the windows? yeah, so not happening). Oh, and maybe trying to talk my husband into some FLOR tiles. I’ll probably also have to do some backyard beautification since the neighbors have been putting us to absolute shame in that department (who has the energy after work to do heavy duty yard work? oh yeah, people without kids :)). My god, owning a house and having a toddler have made me BO-ring!

Niki P.
Niki P.
15 years ago

I like the desert gold. I like it a lot!

Pete
Pete
15 years ago

When we had our kitchen worked on I bought a set of stainless steel shelves on wheels at Costco for $69. (Item # 459800) I put a toaster oven, microwave, toaster, and all the stuff we needed to exist on it. Since it’s on wheels you can move it out of the way when you don’t need it. The best part is after the kitchen was done I move it to the garage to hold some of my larger tools.

Cavu
15 years ago

The far upper right one is my favorite.
I’m moving in June and going to have the paint the whole place. I loathe taping. Actually painting–fun. Taping–not so fun. I’ll bribe friends to come over and help.
I’ll be at a cabin on Lake Superior this weekend doing HOMEWORK. This is my last class before I start my MFA thesis. I totally have spring fever and do NOT want to edit one more person’s manuscript….
At least it stopped snowing. For now.

Swistle
15 years ago

Barley is my strong favorite. That is the color I was LOOKING for when I painted our downstairs, but unfortunately I ended up with something more like the top middle, which is more nursery-sunshine than I’d wanted. I am not good at visualizing colors from paint chips, and was not clever enough to think to paint patches on the walls, despite all the magazine and television ads and store personnel suggesting it.

This weekend we are doing more work on the project of switching the kids’ bedrooms around, and I might put up some Girly Stuff in the girl’s bedroom. I also plan to eat brownies until I sprain something.

melissa
melissa
15 years ago

We are going to go to the BODIES exhibit that is finally opening here in Washington, DC (well, Rosslyn, VA, actually). I remember you posted about it months ago and was jealous it was near where you lived. Unfortunately, it’s costing us $170 as we have 4 kids and 3 of them are teens so it’s a bit pricey…but hopefully worth it!
The rest of the weekend….nothing out of the ordinary. Out to eat at least once, maybe twice. Exercise once, maybe twice. Sex once, maybe if he’s lucky, twice….

Lissa
15 years ago

I cannot read, or something. It took me several tries before I realized that the bottom middle one was “Waterbury Cream” and not “Waterbong Cream.” Sigh.

I’m working. And going to a Renaissance Festival. Woo!

Michelle
Michelle
15 years ago

Not that you are asking for opinions … but the desert gold is nice! We painted our dining room a similar color and it makes the house feel like home (for lack of a better cliche). Barley is a close 2nd.

Weekend is filled with bday parties and outings with family and friends. Should be warm & sunny in MN – whoohoo!

HollowSquirrel
15 years ago

My vote: Powell Buff, not that there’s a vote. And Sanjaya, clearly.

This weekend: wait, I’m suppose to plan something?

laughing mommy
15 years ago

I like your paint choices. My vote is for Barley.

My baby is sick so I’m going to stay home all weekend and take care of her. How exciting is that?

jaime
15 years ago

I think I want that top middle color for my living room.

It’s going to rain here all weekend, so I will probably stay inside, do homework (blah to graduate school!), play Civ III, and try frantically to finish the cross-stitch for my sister’s new baby which I didn’t start until after the baby was born (2 1/2 weeks ago!) and have to finish by Wednesday if I want to give it to her before Christmas.

Last weekend my mother and I painted my kitchen (Behr Valley Hills), so I’m allowed to slack this weekend.

justmouse
justmouse
15 years ago

i vote for Barley. definately my fave.

as for my weekend? um…unpacking boxes and working. how exciting. *yawn*. but the weather is looking really really nice for this weekend, so i may just throw in the First BBQ of the Season. (if i unpack enough boxes to actually find my kitchen table and/or counter top).

taerna
taerna
15 years ago

i love the top right color. very nice and not poopy.

taking my 4yo niece to chuck e cheese tonight as part of a sleepover and aunty’s house. is it sad that i’m totally excited to go to chuck’s? (also, i’ve mentioned this two a few people in the last 48 hours, and i’ve heard each one say “chunk” e cheese. wtf.) i haven’t been there since i was probably 10. and, suffice it to say, that was a long-ass time ago. it wasn’t even chuck’s then, it was showbiz! tomorrow morning she and i will most-likely make pancakes and watch monsters, inc. about 4,753 times before going to my parents’ (nana and papa’s) to spend a snowy (!!!) day with the fam. tomorrow evening, i think my boyfriend and i get to double-date with my brother and SIL (niece’s parents) to see Blades of Glory. i cannot wait! sunday: cleaning. man, i want a housekeeper in a bad way.

also, didn’t you guys hire someone to clean your house? how is that working out? i’m thinking about doing something similar in a few months and wondered if you had any words of wisdom….

angela
angela
15 years ago

I like Powell Buff as well.

Colleen
15 years ago

We’re going to be starting our (only) bathroom remodel in about 3 weeks. I can’t explain how anxious I am about being without a bathroom. Now, we do have a toilet downstairs (just a toilet in a room… like an outhouse) and we have a tenant who has a bathroom with a shower that we could borrow. But, I’m a little skeaved out about Zoe sitting in someone else’s shower. I think I’d go disinfectant crazy every time before getting her in. So for a couple weeks we may be travelling across town to bathe for a while.

I’m also excited. Today I actually ordered the cabinet, sink/counter, mirror/medicine cabinet, and toilet. I finalized our tile plan. I have to remeasure before we order the tile and the tub. This weekend I’m hoping to figure out the fixtures (sink faucet, tub faucet, towel bars, toilet paper holder, etc. etc. etc.) Fun, fun, fun.

warcrygirl
15 years ago

I like Powell (Powder?) Buff and Barley. Who in your comments section wants to help me pick out a color for my living room????

Hubby will be home this weekend so that means a Family Sleep In tomorrow morning followed by pancakes and a quick trip to the post office. Sunday will be church, watching our team get slaughtered at soccer (our only hope is if the other team didn’t practice this week either) then some Childrens’ Choir (it’s Youth Sunday = Free Food!).

My weekend sounds about as exciting as watching paint…well, you know.

dorrie
dorrie
15 years ago

I like barley if you care. This weekend we are getting a puppy, an 11week old black lab named Sister. I am torn between squeee and sadness for the state of my house….

Jenny H.
15 years ago

FOUR MONTHS? Who is working on your remodel? Turtles? A sloth?

My family has been in construction for over thirty years and that seems like too long for a simple remodel.

I vote for Powell Bluff, if we are in fact voting! I hope they bring the BIGGEST EXCAVATOR in the world for Riley! I can’t wait to see what it looks like when it is all done!

We aren’t doing much. My three year old is having his first sleepover tonight! He is wildly excited! I will probably try to get in a little gardening before it rains. That’s about it! Fun times,eh?

Ashley
15 years ago

Hm, my first pick is poopy diaper. Second is barley.

This weekend I am meeting a friend for coffee in Georgetown, and I get to leave Owen at home! I think I am looking foward to a toddler free afternoon more than anything. Other than that…clean…clean….clean.

biodtl
15 years ago

I feel your pain on the remodel. We just closed on a reconstruction loan and are getting ready to break ground on a large addition (doubling the size of our tiny, tiny house). I am thrilled and absolutely dread it at the same time.

This weekend I am attending the most horrible event ever – a cheesy, local level, “professional” “wrestling” match. I love the real, actual sport of wrestling, so this kills me – but my son will LOVE it. I’ll need a flask and a book to get through it.

I like the gold and the barley colors best.

Stephanie
Stephanie
15 years ago

Figuring out why the f*ck I don’t qualify for student loans. THEN wondering how I’m going to cover 17K in tuition every year. I would much rather deal with remodel stuff. Which, PS, I would go for it and do the dorset gold. It seems really dark and poopis-like but it will look great once you have all the cabinetry and stuff in. And if you don’t think you can handle it everywhere, do it on one wall, maybe behind the stove or something, and a lighter color throughout the rest of the kitchen area.

jen
jen
15 years ago

oooh i like the barley and the waterbury cream(?)!

this weekend my bf and i will head to atlantic city to see third eye blind at the house of blues. one of my favorite bands ever! hopefully we will load up on salt water taffy and have a submarine sandwich at the place that invented them. woo!

Pickles & Dimes
15 years ago

I love the Barley. If you get a lot of sunlight in that room, I think it will complement the color beautifully.

This weekend I will be driving 8 hours to be at a benefit for 2 hours for my uncle who has lung cancer. One of those things I absolutely do not want to do for a myriad of reasons (too-long drive through teeny towns with 30 mph speed limits, possible chance of visiting with a relative I will never see alive again, etc.) so I am already kind of hoping for it to be Monday already.

Lisa B
Lisa B
15 years ago

My vote is for either Fresh Butter and Barley. My dining room is a similar buttery color and I love it. Oh wait, you didn’t ask what we think, did you? :)

This weekend? Continuing to recover from the hysterectomy of a week ago, so more Percoset, more. And a cleaning lady visit! Whoopeeeeeeeee! Finally, a clean house! Really, baring the need for the percoset, what could be better? Prescription drugs and a clean house – do I know how to live, or what??

Jennifer
15 years ago

Barley…that’s what’s in our kitchen and I love it!

Weekend plans? Septic tank repair continues. You don’t want anymore information than that.

Daily Tragedies
15 years ago

Moving things from the garage into a little storage unit at the back of the apartment. Because my landlord now wants $85/mo for the garage. $85?!?!?! Does she think think this is San Francisco? I don’t know anyone here who pays $85/mo for parking. Whatever.

Also, as if moving-the-shit-I-never-touch isn’t fun enough, I get to do laundry and pack for my week-long business trip. At least I’ll get clean clothes out of the deal!

Leslie
Leslie
15 years ago

I’m glad I’m not the only one who has giant squares of Benjamin Moore paint on the walls right now. We just put cabinets in our laundry room and I am having trouble deciding what color I want to paint the walls. So, just like you, I have six different squares of color in my laundry room. I’m not sure I gave my KITCHEN this much consideration. With the 18 dollars I’ve spent on sample jars, I could almost buy the gallon I will actually need to paint! I like both of your choices and either will look nice with the red in the living room…in fact I have a similar red in my kitchen and a color similar to Powell Buff in my adjoining family room. It’s been that way for four years and I still haven’t tired of it.

Rachel
15 years ago

Today: cleaning up the enormous heap of detritus from my children’s fort-building adventures in the backyard, weedeating, mowing, and helping my husband load engines and other heavy metal items into an old car frame for a trip to the scrap metal place. (More fun than the septic tank repairs mentioned by a prior commenter, but not by a whole lot.) Tomorrow: going to the city with the family to meet up with one of my husband’s friends, and do who knows what all down there (can’t go to the zoo, my choice, because it will be raining). Tending the nursery at church and then vegging all afternoon on Sunday.

LLL
LLL
15 years ago

Unsolicited: I like the waterbury cream (sp?) color. We just redid our kitchen and the paint looked so dark on the chip – but really rich and nice when surrounded by cabinets etc….

As for the weekend. Baby shower at a local gym, which is a great idea. We can bring our monsters and let them run free. See an old frioend (ie from 25 years ago), who is passing through Portland on business. I wonder if she will bring her horse statues to play with ala the old days?….work some on an insipid lawsuit brought by a lying, bitter ex-employee of nice, non-profit company. Sleep in (unlikely given I have 15 month old child) and maybe take the baby to the community center that has the awesome indoor pool.

deanna
deanna
15 years ago

instead of working, like i usually do every weekend, i can actually say with GREAT joy that i am GOING TO CALIFORNIA FOR A WEEK ON SATURDAY! finally a full entire week where i get to leave the gloom and doom and ugly cold weather that has been plauging the greater nyc region for what seems like forever. and after the *heartbreaking* month ive had at work dealing with far too many sick and dying children, i think i deserve a vacation. i love my job, but every single nurse that works in pediatric oncology deserves their vacations more than anyone else i know.

and the nhl playoffs are in full swing so i get to watch all the excellet playoff hockey games! LETS GO BUFFALO!

deanna
deanna
15 years ago

oh and has the top middle color been ruled out already? that one reminded me of warm sunshine and that is definitely something id LOVE to have in my house. my white aparment walls are incredibly jealous….

Lisa S.
15 years ago

Oh, how I love those Benjamin Moore sample jars! They’re so freakin’ cute, and it’s so much fun to paint squares. It sucks that I have to scrape a popcorn ceiling and strip woodwork before I can re-paint the second bedroom upstairs, because I have a serious hankering for re-painting.

(BTW: love the “barley” color.)

My weekend? Disgustingly domestic. I will be planting my carrots and summer greens, repairing an exterior window sash, and doing other around-the-house chores too picayune to mention here. I can tell I am old because I am oddly thrilled by the prospect of housework. Also, I plan on getting a mani-pedi (post-chores) and going to see a matinee of “Blades of Glory.”

Elizabeth
15 years ago

I’m flying to California! That would be completely fantastic news, except I’ll be alone with my in-laws for a couple of days next week. And it’s my three-month-old’s first flight, and I don’t want to be THAT woman with THAT screaming baby on the plane. So I’m just focusing on the sunshine and Mexican food that await me.

breckgirl
breckgirl
15 years ago

Love the Fresh Butter. Barley is nice but a creamy butter yellow is so cheery for a kitchen. I like cheery kitchens, I guess. No good plans – raking leaves, picking up branches. Delightful.

Sadie
Sadie
15 years ago

I know you didn’t ask for votes, but Barley, definitely – it’s buttery but not yellow. Dorset Gold makes me a little queasy.

This weekend I will be making sweet sweet love to my new stainless bottom-freezer fridge (love you, fridgey!). Also yardwork, since it’s supposed to finally reach the 50s temp-wise. Also, dinner out AND sleeping in with my hot boyfriend.

fellowmom
fellowmom
15 years ago

I also like the “barley” color and am impressed that 5 of your 6 picks are really viable. As for the weekend, getting belated birthday manicures with girlfriends, when I will probably give the manicurist PTSD from the state of my hands/nails. Gardening has taken its toll. Friends are also cooking us dinner–woot–before we settle in to watch The Departed. Sunday we will go to the zoo no matter the weather, because the rhino has a “ball” and likes “branches” and these things are quite compelling to my boys. Plus–elephants, goats, pigs and other animals they’ve been talking about all week, especially when we drive by the zoo exit on our way to daycare and work each morning. (We live close enough to the zoo that I guess it’s understandable when they point at the backyard and say, “cat . . quirrel . . . rhino.”) Then, finally, Sunday night–watching Entourage, of course.

Brad
Brad
15 years ago

Rockclimbing, reading, and sleeping.

Becky
Becky
15 years ago

my weekend will consist of lying on the couch fighting the “morning sickness” that has taken hold of my body….outside of that I am going to TRY and do some laundry…watch the NHL Playoffs (GO PENS!!!) and be really nice to my super loving husband who has been handling the emotional rollercoaster of first trimester pregnancy remarkably well!

Bianca
15 years ago

I will perhaps be seeing “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf” at a theatre downtown tonight by my lonesome. If not, then I’ll go home watch Jeopardy and then play Cake Mania all night long. I am unfortunately addicted to that damn game!!!

Saturday I will work out and hang out with my too-young, too-unwed pregnant younger sister.

Sunday I will bake because I’ve all of a sudden become obsessed with having homemade sweet bready things in my house. Some other changes as of late…strong aversion to the smell of my co-workers lunch and pants not fitting. Hmmm…Yeah, I guess I’m having a scare again. I’m hoping it’s just paranoia from my sister’s situation.

Josh
Josh
15 years ago

Oooh, ooh ooh! Pick me! Pick me!

Tomorrow is my birthday! I will be twenty three years young, and only feel/look fourty! Tonight I am going to clean and work on some vehicles, and do laundry, and drink. Then I’m gonna sleep in, and hopefully acomplish nothing at all untill five o’clock tomorrow when I will start my family cook out. London broil and mashed potatoes and sweet corn niblets and all that good stuff. And afterwards I will head out for an action packed night with my woman and her friend visiting from Connecticut. I say action packed in the sense that we will be busy, not like I will be getting any action. (stupid yankee friend ruining my happy fun time with her god damn suprise visit to a fucking one-bedroom-apartment friend on my fucking extra sex weekend god dammit!!!) … (shit balls hell ass twat!!!)

So that’s the basic plan. Mehbee some more partying and whatnot later on Sunday. Who knows. I think smart money would go with me having a bad monday. But still an exciting weekend.

Also, my taxes will magicly do themselves before the sixteenth. If they don’t, I’ll go ahead and start looking for my W2’s on the fifteenth.

Bianca
15 years ago

Oh and I vote for Waterbong Cream and then Powell Buff. If you have cherry cabinets I think the wood will contrast best with Powell Buff…

thejunebug
15 years ago

Sleeping. Also: laundry, and exploring the new Trader Joe’s that opened down the street.

As for paint: upper right, then upper left. Yellow stimulates appetite! Great color for a kitchen.

Sonia
15 years ago

First and foremost, getting over the shock of spending a lot of money on a camera just this minute. Second, third and fourth, meeting with an electrician, the heating guy and a contractor for our own remodel. *gulp* This is starting to FREAK ME OUT!!!!

Liz
Liz
15 years ago

We’re moving tomorrow. I called the fine folks at Four Seasons to do our move-out cleaning and to set up biweekly cleaning at the new place. (Yes! I have also read Nickel and Dimed!) The owner asked me how I’d heard about them and I was like “I read about you on a blog, Sundry Mourning. Her real name is Linda… well, I don’t know her last name.” So now the lady thinks I’m a slob AND stupid and weird!

kate
15 years ago

Working on saturday (cruise ship day here) and then sunday having friends over and going out for brunch in Hawi.
I like Powell Bluff, that goldy, goldy is too gold for me. Imagine a WHOLE room that color.
And now for a very personal question, are you gonna try to get pregnanat during all of this?
My sister told me of being pregnant during a very similar time and she would lie on the couch and cry…………don’t do it!

Jem
Jem
15 years ago

This weekend, well TONIGHT, I’m having my birthday party. Yay! I’m blow drying my hair and reading this.