October 15, 2006

First of all, I have to say how much I enjoyed reading about your weekend plans. That was unexpectedly interesting and cool and I’m going to ask you every single Friday from now on.

My own plans revolved once again around a farm and some fall-themed activities, although I am very sad to report there were no trebuchets involved, nor quarterstaffs, culverins, siege hooks, or petards.

(Ah, medieval weaponry terminology, how quickly it nerds up a blog entry. Let us all bind our heaving bosoms in low-cut gowns and dance the estampie. Have you a flute?)

We joined the throngs of stroller-pushing parents who visited the Kelsey Creek farm, which was having its annual October festival, which for some mysterious reason included llamas.

101406_llamajb.jpg
JB is apprehensive, as well he should be.

I mean, when you look at these guys close up, you can’t help wondering what influenced their genetic background. Radiation exposure, maybe? Because they are essentially giant mutant pissed-off looking rabbits with hooves.
101406_llama.jpg

The placement of this sign and the proximity of the massive pig made things fairly unclear, but I think there were pony rides at the farm.
101406_pig.jpg

Oh, and there were pumpkins, carefully placed at such precise, Rainman-esque intervals in a field it was both pretty and faintly disturbing.
101406_pkins.jpg

There were also children riding very small tractors.
101406_tractors.jpg

Riley found all the activity questionable and perhaps in need of a thorough investigation.
101406_faceside2.jpg

This fellow was demonstrating blacksmithing, or maybe he was beckoning children into the cauldron in order to cook up their tasty, tender flesh.
101406_smithy.jpg

We stopped by the swings, and swang swunged did some swinging.
101406_ridehorz.jpg

We also checked out this riding thing, which Riley deemed to be acceptable entertainment.
101406_ride.jpg

He returned to a state of skepticism on the way back to the car, though. Did you know my son can look suspicious even with a milk bottle protruding from his face? Because he can.
101406_peer.jpg

I also made a very tasty soup featuring cream AND sugar (but also a vegetable, so is actually v. healthy), which I lovingly detailed here, and rice krispy treats with M&Ms in them. JB happily tooled around in his new shop and produced some nicely stained wood trim for the bathroom, I bought a fabulously attractive Eddie Bauer sweater at Goodwill for $3.99, Riley officially started walking (in a hesitant, IT’S ALIVE! Frankenstein kind of way). It was a good, good weekend.

101406_faceside.jpg
(Suctopus!)

Comments

35 Responses to “Weekend, highlights thereof”

1. kara marie on October 15th, 2006 8:33 pm

Llamas are SO COOL. And those teeth!

Congratulations to Mr. Riley on walking!

2. honeybecke on October 15th, 2006 8:44 pm

That little kid next to the llama doesn’t look too scared to be IN the pen with the big ol’ rabbit(rabid?)toothllama. Brave kid, he must be like, all 4-H-yish.

Riley is walking? Aww. So cool.

3. samantha on October 15th, 2006 9:04 pm

I love how Riley looks as if he is always observing, taking it all in, in preparation for his plans to RULE THE WORLD! Such a cutie!

4. Erica on October 15th, 2006 9:37 pm

Hooray for WALKING! Can’t believe you just tossed that in there at the end!

5. Emily on October 15th, 2006 9:41 pm

I concur with Samantha’s comment — Riley is Brain. As in, “Pinky and The.”

Also, I would rather nerd it up with medieval terminology than redneck it up with NASCAR talk … yet I have no choice in the matter, thanks to the content of my weekend, which I failed to share with you. Count yourself lucky! Oh, and cream and sugar, I’ve decided, cancel each other out.

6. Pete on October 15th, 2006 10:05 pm

Congrats on the walking. And you thought he was hard to watch before. ;-)
    The pix of the pumpkins in the field reminds me of an “Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!” ad I saw once.

7. Alex on October 15th, 2006 10:40 pm

Sounds like a very grand weekend, indeed. I ended up experiencing my very first EARTHQUAKE over here in Hawaii. What a trip.

8. Scott on October 16th, 2006 12:43 am

Congratulations, Riley! Hooray for walking! Welcome, bruised forehead!

9. Swistle on October 16th, 2006 1:12 am

Riley has the CUTEST. LITTLE. FACE. I cannot stand it.

10. Mona on October 16th, 2006 3:38 am

I love Goodwill scores, despite how the women in my moms group look at me with horror when I tell them I bought Nathan a Gymboree outfit for 2.99. And can I compliment JB’s fashion sense? My husband has none whatsoever. He claims that his 1999 Bite of Seattle sweatshirt, holes and all, has some wear left.

11. Boutros on October 16th, 2006 4:41 am

Wow, the smithy looks like Tevye from Fiddler on the Roof.

12. orangepeacock on October 16th, 2006 5:10 am

Wow, walking! Also, it sounds like a fantastic weekend for all involved and that picture of Riley on the swing is just adorable.

13. jonniker on October 16th, 2006 5:14 am

HA! He’s walking! That’s awesome. And dude, I love llamas. They are, honestly, second only to emus in the odd animal world.

14. robin on October 16th, 2006 5:19 am

Yes! Llamas freak.me.out. I love how Riley always looks like he’s in deep contemplation. The swinging picture is adorable.

15. Jessie on October 16th, 2006 5:35 am

Sounds like a lovely weekend. I missed the “What are you doing this weekend?” post, but we conveniently forgot all of our plans (Oktoberfest party and Apple Butter Festival) and instead ate wonderful home-cooked food, cleaned the house, and took one short hike. It was wonderful.

16. ang on October 16th, 2006 6:48 am

THOSE CHEEKS!!! I just want to gobble up the creamy, baby skin goodness.

17. Ang on October 16th, 2006 6:50 am

As always, your pics are awesome, but the swinging pic should be framed!

18. Jo on October 16th, 2006 7:42 am

Walking! How cool! I love the pumpkin pic, that’s beautiful – and where did JB get his shirt?

19. Kris on October 16th, 2006 8:57 am

YAY Riley is walking!! When do we get to see a video of that??

20. Amy on October 16th, 2006 9:39 am

Yummy, yummy soup! I posted my favorite version on your sundrybuzz site. Check it out. By the way, Riley’s looks of suspiscion remind me of this site: http://www.birdchick.com/adventures/rabbit/index.html Have you seen it? I highly recommend checking it out for a laugh. Enjoy.

21. Alecia on October 16th, 2006 9:50 am

I love Riley’s camo fleece – where did you find it?

22. Jamie on October 16th, 2006 10:07 am

I cannot believe the superhuman level of cuteness in that swing photo. Hopefully none of my coworkers can hear my uterus shrieking…

23. claire on October 16th, 2006 10:13 am

Is it “swung” maybe? Huh, that’s a toughy…

And Rabbits + Radiation = Llamas… is perfect. Never would have even occured to me, but i think you found the missing link there.

Walking! Yay!!

24. angela on October 16th, 2006 10:37 am

OMG, llamas DO look like giant mutant pissed-off looking rabbits with hooves. i was chased down the street by a llama once. they scare me.

25. velocibadgergirl on October 16th, 2006 11:14 am

OK, your kid? Adorable. Insanely so.

Llama? Damn right JB should be scared…here’s a somewhat hilarious article about why it’s bad to snuggle a llama.

Excerpt: “Charlie spit, flattened his ears back and bared his teeth, including the three sets of razor-sharp “fighting teeth,” which llamas use to rip the scrotum from male competitors in the wild.”

I’m glad JB escaped unscathed!

26. Diablevert on October 16th, 2006 1:15 pm

Llama fight by ripping each other’s scrotums off.

Oh, I am so not even kidding:

and also:

27. fifi on October 16th, 2006 2:00 pm

Love the suspicious glare while continuing to slurp bottle.

28. gen on October 16th, 2006 8:25 pm

riley just keeps getting cuter and cuter! he looks so much like you, too! loverly. :)

29. laura on October 17th, 2006 6:23 am

oh your life will now never be the same! and I’m sure that’s the first time someone has ever told you that piece of “wisdom” ;-)

also, llamas don’t have hooves, they have padded feet that split into two toes that each have a very thick toenail. I don’t know why I know this.

30. laura on October 17th, 2006 6:25 am

also, I’m sure you already know this but Riley is now on the home page of clubmom. love it!

31. Brooke on October 17th, 2006 3:00 pm

Well, since I’m not going to be on the internet on Friday, and I’m pretty sure I’ll forget to check your site between now and then:

This weekend, I’m getting married. Woot!

Then we’re going to Hawaii. Earthquake schmearthquake! [looks overhead, fears lightning bolt]

32. Mel on October 18th, 2006 8:16 am

Cool! Ian started walking a week ago Tuesday. He went from using a walker, a.k.a. a push-toy, to letting go and just walking by himself. It’s another happy/sad moment. *smile*

33. Teri M. on October 18th, 2006 10:12 am

No way does Tevye eat children… that would so not be kosher.

34. katie d on October 19th, 2006 7:00 am

Riley’s laserbeam stare o’ death KILLS me. Every time. :) And he’s walking? Oh, honey. It was so nice knowing you. Go with God.

35. Jeffrey Brazier on January 14th, 2007 2:22 am

Google is the best search engine