We’ve been pretty much snowed in since … what, Tuesday? It’s all a blur. A blur of days spent mostly inside and having a lot of fun together but also maybe getting a tiny bit cabin fever-y as evidenced by the fact that my first attempt at this blog entry was just 14 consecutive pages of this:

Screen shot 2012-01-20 at 11.54.26 AM

Speaking of Jack! JB went to the grocery store last night and on his way home he called me to ask if I could put the cat in the utility room. I allowed as I could probably go ahead and do that but was there any particular reason, or was this some sort of weird sex metaphor where “cat” meant “penis” because if so I’d really need to know what “utility room” meant.

“Well, I sort of picked up one of those Jack Russell dogs. He’s in my truck right now,” JB said.

NOT what I expected him to say, by the way.

It turned out that the dog came inside the grocery store while JB was in there, the staff shooed him back out, and JB watched him wander around the parking lot for a while before he opened the truck door and the dog cheerily jumped right in. He didn’t have a collar, and some people walking by told JB they’d seen the dog off and on all day, just running around lost in the snow.

So we totally had a dog last night, which was great entertainment for the kids.

Screen shot 2012-01-20 at 11.49.50 AM

We called him Jack and briefly considered what it might be like to keep him if we couldn’t find the owners, but as well-behaved and friendly as he was, he clearly wasn’t meant to be in a house with a cat. They did have a brief truce for a while:

Screen shot 2012-01-20 at 11.49.22 AM

But 99% of the time Jack was staring intently at the cat with his entire body on alert. Tail wagging madly, but you could actually see the little pangs of frustration emanating from him. I’m not sure if he was visualizing a delicious cat risotto or if he just wanted to play or what, but I don’t think I would have left them alone together to find out, you know?

Screen shot 2012-01-20 at 11.49.35 AM

Other than being a total Cat Creeplord, Jack was the perfect overnight guest. This morning JB took him to the vet, where they treated him for an eye/ear infection and scanned him for a microchip. Thankfully, he had one, and better yet, it had been registered. JB got the owner’s address, then drove right over and delivered Jack back to his happy owner:

Screen shot 2012-01-20 at 11.49.04 AM

Man, I love happy endings, don’t you?

PS: Turns out the dog’s real name is “Blast.” Heh.

Comments

40 Responses to “We now paws (HAAA) for dog identification”

1. Penne on January 20th, 2012 1:29 pm

Yay! Happy ending!

2. jen on January 20th, 2012 1:35 pm

That’s really awesome of you guys. So glad there are people like you who do the right thing for animals.

3. el-e-e on January 20th, 2012 1:35 pm

Who here besides me predicts a lot of “Mom, can we get a dog? PLEEEEEEEEZE?”-es?

4. Jeanette on January 20th, 2012 1:37 pm

Lucky Jack that JB took him home. I love the picture with him and the cat!!

5. Lisa S. on January 20th, 2012 1:47 pm

Hurray for happy endings. You and JB are good people for taking that dog in during snow time.

6. Kate on January 20th, 2012 1:49 pm

Such a happy ending, but I hate hearing that the dog was out without a collar *and* had ear/eye infections, though. Poor little guy.

7. Cara on January 20th, 2012 1:51 pm

Wow, I bet that was one relieved doggie daddy. I’m glad Jack aka Blast found his way to people who would look out for him.

8. Nicole on January 20th, 2012 2:02 pm

Awww! Awesome ending! By the way, my family has had many a Jack – They are very smart and very cute. But unless they are hunting mice or running agility, they are completely useless… and by useless I mean neurotic, annoying and prone to fits of unprovoked aggression toward anything else on 4 legs. I’m glad Blast made it home – For his sake and yours.

9. Courtney on January 20th, 2012 2:30 pm

First, holy smokes we need to send our registration in for our dog’s microchipping. She’s been chipped for 1.5 years and the paperwork is still floating around somewhere. LAME on our parts.

Second, it makes me happy to know that there are people out there like your family who will do the right thing for an animal in need. Thanks!

10. H on January 20th, 2012 2:43 pm

What a great experience – for everyone (except MAYBE cat)! I love happy endings too.

11. Amy on January 20th, 2012 2:47 pm

Yeah for happy tails :) We had a similar experience the day after New Year 2011. Unfortunately….Oscar is still in residence and Cats are not thrilled. But we have a system and the boys love him. He’s some kind of mixed breed (dauchsand and jack russell) that was running in traffic in the rain. I may have kept going but for the boys in the back yelling, “Mom! A dog! We have to save him!!” So we did. No chip, no tags, posted on every lost pet website we could find with no response. So now, Oscar Meyer Weiner Dog has celebrated his first anniversary as a Neto.

Good job, JB!!

12. Jess on January 20th, 2012 2:54 pm

My vote is cat risotto. Our dog goes crazy over squirrels, but her tail wags madly the whole time and we always thought maybe she just really wanted them to come down and play with her. Until she actually caught one, and killed it. I guess the tail wagging isn’t always a sign of playfulness.

13. Tracy on January 20th, 2012 3:00 pm

You guys are my heroes!

One of my biggest fears is our dog going missing. I’d like to think that if someone found him, they’d take care of him and try to find out where he belongs. So thanks for being those people!

There are a couple of dog owners in our neighborhood who let their dogs get out and roam free sometimes and it makes me crazy. I feel like I need to guide them home because a.) it’s the right thing to do and b.) I would be panicked if our dog got away. But they’re always like, “oh yeah, that happens sometimes, no big whoop.” Er!

14. Amanda on January 20th, 2012 3:23 pm

I remember a few misplaced pets we sheltered for a night or two. Pretty awesome memories. Love the happy ending, bet your cat does too.

15. Nikki on January 20th, 2012 3:33 pm

I had this exact thing happen to me over the weekend. We found a pomeranian in our neighborhood. It looked EXACTLY like my pomeranian. The dog did have a collar, but the tag only had the vet’s info – not the owner. The vet was closed. I put signs up all over our neighborhood about a found dog. After a couple hours when I hadn’t gotten any calls, I gave the pup a much needed bath and let her play with my sweet girl. The next day I got a call from the owner who had been out of town, and she picked her up. Turns out the dog had 10 wk old pupppies that were missing her at home. I was a little sad to see her go, but glad we found the owner.

16. AnEmily on January 20th, 2012 4:03 pm

Blast? No wonder he ran off.

17. Kristin on January 20th, 2012 4:14 pm

What a happy story! How happy was his family?

18. sooboo on January 20th, 2012 4:15 pm

Awww, such a cute story. I love happy endings. I’m pretty impressed that cat let the dog that close. I’m always more afraid for the dog in those situations as cats are pretty instinctual about going for the eyes. We had a starving, friendly cat show up on Thanksgiving with no collar or microchip. Now we have a new cat.

19. Belle on January 20th, 2012 5:01 pm

Ooh, he’s a cutie. I am glad you took him in but happier he is home so Cat can relax. ha

We were adopted once by the most beautiful calico male cat that just showed up one day in the middle of winter and wouldn’t leave. We had to keep him in the garage because we already had 3 indoor cats and couldn’t risk exposing them to lord knows what. We gave him a heated bed, food and water and plenty of petting. We called the shelter who found room for him after about a month, tested him for feline leukemia and sad to say, he tested positive. They tested twice just to make sure because he looked so healthy. They had to put “Gus” down but we still think fondly of him and are thankful we were able to make his last home a good one.

And this is why we have indoor cats only. I am not about to lose one of them and worry myself sick whether they are being taken care of.

And, oh yeah. That dog looked like he belonged with your boys…….full of energy!

20. Erin@MommyontheSpot on January 20th, 2012 6:43 pm

I love the truce picture!

21. chalica on January 20th, 2012 7:27 pm

awww that was a really sweet story! Loved the pictures to go along with it too! Sorry you didnt get to keep him!

22. Ali on January 20th, 2012 8:04 pm

Yay for Blast! The Smile on the happy owner’s face says it all. You did a good thing :)

23. Erin on January 20th, 2012 8:53 pm

Oh, what a sweet story! How long had Blast been missing?

24. Andrea on January 20th, 2012 9:20 pm

If my dog is ever lost, I hope she were to spend the night with a family like yours.

She’s chipped, too.

25. just words on a page on January 20th, 2012 10:32 pm

You know Linda that you need to get a puppy now don’t you?

26. Mariya on January 21st, 2012 12:07 am

That sounds a lot like something that happened to me when I was about 5. On the drive home from work one night, my Dad, saved a Scottie dog from the middle of the street and he was an overnight guest as well. My siblings and I were sure he’d get to stay and we’d already started trying to decide on names…haha. My Dad found the owners (I have no clue how) and they came by the next day. We were so sad until we saw the couple who came to pick him up. They were the cutest elderly couple ever and they’d probably been together since the flood. His name was Ralphy and they were SO happy to see him (the women even cried) – which made having to “give him up” not so bad :)

27. Melissa on January 21st, 2012 8:58 am

Hurray! I see a puppy in your near future…don’t worry, if you get them when they are young enough, they stay terrified of the cat for YEARS!

28. Life of a Doctor's Wife on January 21st, 2012 11:12 am

What a sweet, happy story!

And I love when you said “delicious cat risotto.” Hilarious.

29. Val on January 21st, 2012 12:56 pm

So you and JB are good people….

30. sara moon on January 21st, 2012 2:33 pm

YAY FOR HAPPY ENDINGS!!!!!!

Cat Creeplord. ha.
    cat risotto. ha.

you are so the bomb.

31. Maureen on January 21st, 2012 6:52 pm

What a cute dog! I so want a Jack Russell, but we have had goldens retrievers so long I don’t know how I would deal with a dog with who isn’t quite so laid back. So glad Blast was reunited with his owner.

32. bj on January 22nd, 2012 2:50 pm

jb is a sweetie. I’m sure you are thanking your stars that the owner was found. otherwise you might never let jb out again (well that’s what would happen in my family).

33. erin on January 22nd, 2012 9:31 pm

I absolutely LOVE that you guys took in that little dog, even though you have a cat at home. Such an awesome thing to do. I hope someone would do that for my dog if she ever escaped the house/yard without our knowledge.

34. Anais on January 22nd, 2012 10:07 pm

Your “cat in the utility room” metaphor analysis bit cracked me up.

What a wonderful story. My cat recently went missing and although he is micro-chipped and we put up flyers everywhere, no one has stepped forward to return him. =(

I’m glad Blast was reunited with his owner.

35. birdgal (another amy) on January 23rd, 2012 6:15 am

That totally made me smile. So glad it worked out for both you AND the dog!

36. Ani on January 23rd, 2012 7:35 am

Way to go, JB, for taking a sweet lost pup off the streets like that. I’m proud to be a lurker of such an awesome couple!!!

37. Barbara on January 23rd, 2012 1:31 pm

y’all rock!!!

38. Joel on January 24th, 2012 5:26 am

Thank goodness the dog’s chip was up to date. Too often, people move and forget to update the address and contact information for their pets. At least that’s been my experience.

When the boys inevitably start asking for a dog of their own, do you have a breed in mind? Or would you go the rescue route?

39. angela on February 2nd, 2012 7:17 am

My husband did the same thing one cold, rainy night. He came home at 3am, after a gig, with a gigantic, soaked, yellow lab he found wandering in the rain. He slept on the couch, and the dog slept beside him on the floor. When he got up to use the washroom, the dog climbed up on the couch. Shawn spent the rest of the night on the floor.
    After tracking down the owners later the next day, the dog was returned. His name was BINGO, and we both secretly wish we had kept him.

40. http://www./ on October 24th, 2016 5:34 am

"America is already a second teir nation and fast becoming a 3rd world nation.Thanks Obama."Don't blame Obama for that. he's trying to rescue this ignorant mass of stupid while the likes of Michele Bachmann and Rick Santorum are trying to turn this into Jeezusland in which we are taught humans had dinosaurs as pets 6,000 years ago. Nice try though, maybe some of your tea party friends might believe ya.