December 26, 2006
Hello from the southern Oregon coast, where it has been raining like a sonuvabitch ever since we arrived on Monday. If we all wash away in a muddy avalanche of rainwater and half-deflated holiday lawn decorations, will somebody please pick up Cat from our Bellevue vet and give her a good home? She will make a fantastic pet, especially if you enjoy animals that sit around plotting evil schemes and stroking their tiny diabolical beards all day.
We had a great Christmas, over at JB’s brother’s house in Eugene. Everyone had a fun time visiting and opening gifts, and Riley was vastly entertained by all the activity. I hope you all had a good holiday, too.
Christmas morning. I wear that damn sweater every year.
How you doin’?
Crazy-huge waves on the coast at Shore Acres park. That’s JB standing at the edge of the cliff.
More giant waves, captured while we stood there getting soaked with saltwater.
I’ve mentioned before that JB’s brother Joe is a funeral director; well, on Sunday he got a call and I found myself asking if he’d mind if I watched him work. I’m pretty sure this is the first time anyone has ever made that request to Joe, and he was more than happy to oblige, so I came along to the funeral home and watched him embalm the body of an elderly woman. It was really interesting and creepy and I’m going to post a whole entry detailing the experience, which I will give you fair warning about in case that’s not the sort of blog-reading you signed up for.
So there’s that to look forward to, here at sundrymourning.com (what do you mean you are not on TENTERHOOKS), and my now-annual New Year’s meme/thing, which I am hoping you participate in on your own website. Here are the questions, and if you post your own answers please let me know so I can link to you.
1. What did you do in 2006 that you’d never done before?
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?
7. What dates from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
9. What was your biggest failure?
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
16. What song will always remind you of 2006?
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
21. Did you fall in love in 2006?
22. How many one-night stands?
23. What was your favorite TV program?
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
25. What was the best book you read?
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
27. What did you want and get?
28. What did you want and not get?
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?
33. What kept you sane?
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
36. Who did you miss?
37. Who was the best new person you met?
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Okay, enough housekeeping for now. I’ll be posting this week over here (mmm, contractually-obligated frequency), so come say hi.