I was feeling my oats when I got ready to leave the house yesterday, probably because I can officially wear my Cruel Girl jeans again without creating a giant mound of squashed-up bellyfat above the waistband thankyouJEBUS, and so I paused to take the unusual-for-me step of applying a “lip plumper“. What can I say, after spending the past month day wearing sweatpants with unwashed hair I had the desire for a little cosmetic indulgence, even though I was just driving to daycare and back.

A full twenty minutes or so after putting on what I swear was a tiny amount of this ridiculous lip-irritating goo, I absentmindedly kissed Riley on the cheek. And . . . uh . . . well.

Remember that scene in Fight Club when Brad Pitt licks his lips and coats them with lye, chemically burning his lip print into the back of Edward Norton’s hand? That’s soooooort of what I did to my own child:

durdenprint.jpg

Now, despite his woebegone expression in this photo he actually didn’t seem to notice it at all, but I watched in sheer horror as two red lip-shaped marks appeared on his cheek, and despite my careful swabbing with cold water and a soft cloth, turned into raised WELTS.

The good news is that they disappeared entirely about a half hour later, the bad news is that I stupidly told my husband about it, who acted as though I had purposefully crammed toothpicks in the boy’s eyesockets. “Why,” he asked dramatically, “would you WEAR something that BURNS?”

Well, I guess I don’t rightly have a good answer for that at this point. It certainly wasn’t in order to damage my 2-year-old’s dewy-soft FACE, but don’t any of you bother competing for that coveted Jackass Parent of the Year award—I’m pretty sure I’ve got this one in the bag.

Comments

59 Responses to “Another Hallmark moment”

1. Eric's Mommy on March 20th, 2008 6:38 am

Wow that stuff is toxic huh?

2. Shelly on March 20th, 2008 9:08 am

Whoops, you just lost out. I gave my 16 month old son a bath last night. Judging by his screaming, I have this award In. The. Bag.

3. Alice on March 20th, 2008 11:06 am

Linda, I love you.

Josh, I love you, too.

4. Sara on March 20th, 2008 4:24 pm

You know what I’m thinking, since JB was so um…critical. You should TOTALLY apply that seconds before you give him his next “favor.”

5. Rebecca M. on March 20th, 2008 7:12 pm

Maybe he’s allergic to something in it.

(And didn’t JB think Riley had a spider bite when he was showing symptoms of an ear infection? You might win the Jackass Award, but I think he wins the Amusing Parental Overreaction award.)

6. Rachel on March 21st, 2008 12:28 pm

Don’t blame yourself, blame the cosmetics industry. This is a very useful website. http://www.safecosmetics.org/

Try not to freak out about the article currently posted on there (Chemical Linked to Reproductive Harm Getting into Babies from Cosmetics).

7. What Happens When Your Allergic To Bees And Get Stung on May 10th, 2008 4:10 am

Hello webmaster! Its Saturday and i search the whole day for information on What Happens When Your Allergic To Bees And Get Stung – thanks for your blog R.Kraven

8. Amy on March 14th, 2009 6:37 am

Awww, he is so adorable. And weird coincidence – do you read Amalah’s Advice Smackdown? Last question was about those lip plumpers. I don’t think she mentioned this hazard!

9. Another Hallmark moment All amp Sundry | Best Eye Cream on June 7th, 2009 7:42 pm

[…] Another Hallmark moment All amp Sundry Posted by root 2 hours 23 minutes ago (http://www.sundrymourning.com) This falls under the you can 39 t make this shit up category because it is too funny i agree with pete how could jb not make a comment about lip plumper Discuss  |  Bury |  News | Another Hallmark moment All amp Sundry […]